[IP] Re: Reservoir and Tubing changes

email @ redacted writes:

<< ome questions for the old pro's out there:
 I was told to change my softset every three days.  Does anyone have any
 opinions on that?  If you leave it in longer, do you face more chances of
 infection or pain?  If you have insulin left in your reservoir when you
 sets, but not enough, do you ever mix new insulin with old?  Or do you just
 throw out the old reservoir with some insulin in it?  I wonder because, say I
 fill up my reservoir with more than I need, then end up having to change my
 set after only one day or so because of an absortion problem.  Should I throw
 out what is left?  Can I add more too it?  When I only have about 30-40 units
 left, should I just wait to change it if it is inconvenient, or can I add
 more? Does anyone try to save the insulin that is in the tubing?  I don't
 to be gross or unsanitary, but I'm in debt, here. I've been playing by the
 "rules" so far. Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this!
 Sherry C. >>

I'm not an old pro, but this is what i was told.
It may depend on the pump you use.
I know the disetronic can be programmed for a half cartridge
and then you can just change your softset.  My cde told me to
only do this with the glass cartridges.  Somehow the plastic
ones do something to the insulin and it shouldn't be used
more than the 3 days.

    There's nothing stronger than gentleness.
                                              -- John Wooden