Re: [IP] Used glucometers and other issues...

Sherry Compton wrote:

> J. Hughey pointed out to me that maybe organizations are slow to take used glucometers because of the threat of AIDS (or even hepatitis <ducking so I don't get hit>)

The companies (at least one that I dealt with) that make the BG meters consider used meters hazardous medical waste - I was told that the receiving dock staff who handle the returned meters wear "full bunny suits". The threat is from hepatitis - the AIDS virus is very weak outside the body and doesn't survive very long.

> She may be right. Which brings back a bad memory.  When I was in sixth grade a new friend of mine stayed overnight.  I didn't take an injection in front of her, but I showed her the syringe when I was done, minus the needle.  I was used to other kids being somewhat fascinated with the whole thing. She said she didn't want to touch it, because she didn't want to get AIDS.  And that brought back another
> memory.  That same year another girl in my class was diagnosed--several kids said that she must have caught it from me.

Remembering hand-carrying back a "broken" meter (first time) brought back less than positive memories.... The person taking back the meter would not touch it and had me place it in a plastic bag and seal it.......

Having been a volunteer at a major HMO, also exposed me to an interesting bit of information.  Any time staff is working with body fluids, they are "officially required" to wear rubber gloves that need to be changed between patients.... No wonder we "do it ourselves" when we are first shown how to do BG tests...

"Protective requirements" sure make things that we have to do daily "NOT OK" with the way others react...  And we wonder why there are relatively few willing to be open about diabetes?

> I started a book a few months ago about growing up diabetic, and my decision to go on the pump.  I lost focus for awhile, but I think I will take it back out today and try to start again. Things like that really make you think, and I wish I'd known I wasn't the only kid with Diabetes. Makes you think.

Even being older sometimes we don't know others who have diabetes (family secrets?).  I worked with someone for at least 7 years, before I found out that he had DM longer than I had... And the only reason that I initially found out was because his former boss "let the secret out"....

> Sherry C
> >From the massive metropolis of Bowling Green, KY
> Thinking book royalties would come in really handy for delinquent student loans

The book is important even if it is only for you.

As long as the "secrets" are kept, we will never find out that we aren't the only ones having problems controlling this simple though NOT EASY dis-ease....

Jim S.