Re: [IP] Insulin absorption problems

<snip>. Afterwards however, it seems that my insulin is not
> absorbing in my stomach anymore. When I insert into a site, I find
> that the insulin is not working at all (very high sugars for no
> explained reason).

hat you describe is a common problem for a small percentage of pump
users and is probably a sensitivity to Humalog. This usually can be
alleviated by mixing a small amount of Velosulin with the Humalog. It
probably would be better to verify that not having H in your system
actually helps. If you try a week or two with just V (or R) you can
find this out definitively. Either you get improvments or you don't.
If you don't, the don't waste time mixing.

For a complete discussion of H/V mixing, visit the SEARCH engine on
the Insulin Pumpers web site and search the previous 2 months US mail
list for :

humalog velosulin

You should find 60 or 70 posts, most of which are on this subject
which was recently discussed.

This one is from June 98
A number of people have problems with infusion site corruption when
using only Humalog (including my daughter). Symptoms include
unexplained high bg's usually at the end of the 2nd or 3rd day on a
given set. A forth day is usually not possible at all. When using
Velosulin or Regular, these symptoms do not occur. Apparently mixing a
small amount of V or R (my daughter uses V) moderates the corrupting
effect of the Humalog and enables her to routinely get 4 days from a
Comfort/Tender/Silohette and 3 days from a Sof-set. This was not
possible before.

Other symptoms unrelated to set problems have been reported with
straight Humalog use including occassional erratic bg's where the
feeling is low, but bg's test OK. This is sometimes followed by
unexplained high bg's (as if there were a low followed by a rebound).
This also seems to be moderated or eliminated by mixing H+V. Reported
mixes vary from 5/1 which Lily uses in her pump to 50:50 mixes. There
have been no medical studies done on this as far as any of us know.
The mixes that individuals use have more to do with the exact effect
of the mix on the people and their particular digestive cycle vs
insulin needs than the moderating effect of the Velosulin. Lily has
tried 4/1 and 5/1 with the latter being keeping her bg's flat better
after a meal and particularly before bed time. Most pumpers that are
mixing seem to use 3/1 (75%H 25%Ror V) or 4/1. We should probably take
a survey. Also most pumpers are adults and have been diabetic for a
while and tend to have slightly slower digestive times than a 14 year
old (Lily).