[IP] :) :) The Correct View of Type :) :)

After reading all the stuff about the Newsweek article, and everyone's
heartfelt feelings about how difficult it is to struggle with diabetes,
no matter what type, and whether it's you or your loved one......

I think everyone's right.

Just because everyone's toiling up that mountain by different roads
doesn't mean the mountain is any lower for anyone. We all feel like
Sisyphus rolling that boulder which never quite makes it to the top!!!!

But anyway, it's pretty clear to me that I have the EASIEST type of
diabetes. :)  Not that I like it any more than any of you do, but I'm
grateful for the things I DON'T have to struggle with.

I'm glad I don't have to struggle with the weight-gain issues of Type 2,
and the fact that often, NOTHING works very well, no matter how hard the
person tries. Don't let the press fool you; the "wonder" drugs don't
work for everyone, and there are side-effects which are QUITE
unpleasant. And it's not as easy as "get up off your fat butt and
exercise" because, contrary to the media's opinion, Type 2 is NOT caused
merely by obesity and sedentary behavior, but by a wider combination of
factors which are NOT that easy to control.

On the other hand, I'm glad I don't have the WIDE BG swings, propensity
to ketacidosis and hypoglycemia unawareness of Type 1, and I'm glad that
I didn't have to grow up with a chronic disease -- I'm very grateful for
the life that I had where I DIDN'T have to worry about such things.

Once I went on insulin, my diabetes became very easy to control, and
while I don't have absolutely normal BGs, they're good enough to allow
me a wonderful quality of life, with which I'm quite happy. I'm aware
that it might not ALWAYS be so easy to control because of continuing
Beta Cell destruction, but I might as well enjoy my "honeymoon" as long
as I can, and be grateful that it's taking it's own sweet time to fade
into the sunset!

I'm glad that so far, I don't have the complications of either Type --
knock wood!!!!!!  The coronary artery spasm seems to be unrelated to
diabetes, and the reward for it was to find out that my arteries weren't
clogged. My hypothyroidism is easily controlled, as is my idiopathic
rapid heartbeat. My cardiologist watches my cholesterol and blood
pressure like a hawk -- so far, they have again been totally easy to
control, and I've been well within normal ranges for years. (Cholesterol
was high when I was diagnosed -- once I got all my endocrine problems
under control,  AND started Lipitor, it dropped like a rock and has
stayed there!)

All this allows me to have extreme compassion for those who are
suffering a lot worse than I am. My heart goes out to them. And it's not
just diabetes. It's all those severe and often fatal childhood diseases
like Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Tay-Sachs Disease, Sickle-Cell
Anemia, etc. etc. etc. It's mental disorders like Bipolar Disorder,
Schizophrenia, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Tourette's Syndrome, etc.
etc. etc.

And tons more, which I won't list -- there are LOTS of things that rob
humans of a comfortable life, and since I can't go POOF and cure them
all, at least they have my compassion.

Some people are disgusted by my "Pollyanna" attitude, but I don't see
what other attitude I can possibly take -- I just don't see any other
way to cope with life.

Smiles and hugs to you all!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted