email @ redacted writes:

<< I was just wondering if there were some sort of "prediabetic"
 state that could last for a long time before diabetes actually strikes.

I read on the IP list a few days ago about some research being done at Joslin
about this topic.  I don't remember the exact post, but I think it had to do
with the mechanism of the liver possibly releasing stored glucose into the
bloodstream (at the wrong time) and the body secreting insulin at high levels
and possibly causing the "prediabetic" hypoglycemia you were referring to in
your post.  I may be all wet, but it might be worth looking in to.

Type 1 x25 years
MM508 9/27/99