Re: [IP] condition or disease?

Per Michael's note:  <That is rare! I've read of having both
.... I guess the up side is that we
now have an expert among us that can speak knowledgably
about dealing
with both permanent insulin resistance and T1. Your
contribution of
knowledge is appreciated, I certainly hope the rest of us
can be of
assistance to you as well.>

Michael & IP group - sorry this is a long post.  Some of you
may find it of interest - feel free to respond privately or
set up a chat time if you want to talk more.  I'm kind of
quiet and am still coming to grips with diabetes, so I don't
post too often.  I really do appreciate all the knowledge
that is shared on this site - you all are wonderful and you
give me courage when you tell your stories of triumph and

I've shared my story with some of you privately, but I don't
think I've posted it fully.  My combination of diabetic
elements is rare - Pancreatitis, as a cause of T1 DM, is
touched on in the ADA Standards of Care book and in some
medical journals, but for a T2 who has not yet exhibited
symptoms to suddenly have the pancreas cells die is very
unusual.  Pancreatitis is normally caused by alcoholism,
gall stones, pancreas or gallbladder duct blockage, or an
injury to the pancreas (such as a car accident and being
forced into the steering wheel).  We don't know what
triggered my pancreatitis (I don't drink at all, didn't have
any gall bladder problems and had no injury) - I just went
to work normally last December 2nd, had the worst stomach
ache I've ever had, rolled around on my office floor in
agony for an hour before anyone noticed me and then drove to
the hospital thinking that I had a horrible ulcer or
appendicitis. Several weeks in intensive care ensued along
with a 3 month "vacation" from work.  In the process I had
renal failure, multiple organ failure, several heart
attacks, a 25% weight loss and, at the peak, was given about
8 hours to live.  Kind of gross, but the pancreas would not
stop producing digestive enzymes which were, in turn,
dissolving major organs (including the pancreas itself).  My
condition was so serious that ICU had a nurse sit next to my
bed 24/7.  I had some eight doctors - one for each major
organ that had failed or was failing, a surgeon who had done
pancreas transplants on call and a team of residents.

My recovery is nearly complete - with the exception of DM
and a heart condition, I have a normal life.  I'm working
full time and have no life-style restrictions.  There is a
more spiritual side of my experience which I'd be happy to
share privately - it is a little intense and sometimes hard
to write about - so I won't do so now.

I certainly don't consider myself an expert in anything
other than my specialized area of work, but I did spend a
good portion of my 3 month recovery learning everything I
could about DM, my heart condition (supraventricular
arrhythmia) and the pancreas.  I'm still trying to learn as
much as I possibly can.

The IP group (as well as the pump) has been a great
blessing.  While diabetes is very frustrating - I'm really
pretty happy coming through with "just" diabetes and a heart
problem. These are challenges that I can deal with, live
with, and take control of.

I can't offer much advice to people who have grown up with
T1 diabetes and survived its many challenges, people who
have had T2 for many years and who have learned to change
their lifestyle to get control, and care-givers of diabetics
who have sacrificed so much for their children, spouses,
siblings and others  - you are all very courageous.  I will,
however, say that we are all very fortunate to have the
types of insulin and oral medications that are now available
and that we are very blessed to have the delivery mechanisms
and standards of medical care that we have.  We all have
frustrations, diabetes is not an easy condition to manage,
and it is difficult dealing with medical and other service
people that don't understand us.  But we can manage diabetes
and, I believe, we can find a way to cure diabetes.  After
everything I've been through, having fought to stay alive, I
will not give in to diabetes!

Best wishes to each of you.