Michael said: "..go one with life with the missing organ and
the accumulating side effects caused by loss of it's function.. Can't say
as I can think of a similar "disease", but I'm sure there are some. "

A few other autoimmune conditions are: Hashimoto's thyroiditis (thyroid
gland eventually stops producing thyroid hormone), adrenal insuffiency,
rheumatatoid arthritis, lupus and other collagen disease syndromes. This is
by NO means at complete list.

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE