[IP] re: uneducated docs/nurses

In a message dated 9/1/00 10:31:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Are most docs/nurses this uneducated about diabetes. In the ER, the doc
 his pump and asks what it is, then says, oh he has diabetes that bad that he
 needs that?  AHHH.  They kept wanting to give him juice for dry lips, etc.
 And i told them he had to have insulin for that, "he does?"    AHHHHHHHH
 sorry just had to vent. >>
It is scary.
I had an experience where i went in for a test before back surgery, can't
remember what kind but they had to give me something to make me drowsy and I
had an all liquid diet for lunch.  The nurse gave me my normal shot.  After
the test I was unresponsive and completely out of it and drenched in sweat.
No one noticed until my roommate came and saw me and made them do something
about it.
I am always scared about professional people not knowing what they are doing
with diabetes stuff.

    There's nothing stronger than gentleness.
                                              -- John Wooden