Re: [IP] Title of Newsweek article

"RoseLea" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> With
> the title of that article, they should have given Type 1 equal time, or they
> should have changed the title of the article to reflect what they were
> really writing about.

But it is type 2 that is increasing in incident levels at an epidemic rate.  While type 1 is, indeed, as insidious *TO THE PATIENT*, it is type 2 at this point that is a significant public health issue.

One of the PR problems that public health has to deal with is the *perception* that no one cares if one's disease is not given "equal time".  But the fact is that type 2 is having a much greater impact on health care resources and the nation's health in general than type 1.  So, while type 1 is *extremely* significant to me (I am at type 1 [LADA]), it does not have the public health significance of type 2.

I'll make one other comment on something someone wrote the other day criticizing the as yet unpublished paper from CDC because the survey was a telephone survey.  Telephone surveys are quite legitimate ways of gathering this sort of information.  When I get back to my office tomorrow, I'll post the references of a couple of survey methodology books specifically dealing with telephone surveys.

BTW, I did read the full article yesterday evening, and I can't say that I read anything inappropriate in it.  It does not have the import of a peer reviewed paper, but then that isn't the purpose.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.