[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IP] Moms unite/dropping off the list/Newsweek response

Please...stay on the list!!!  Don't let one person's opinion upset you. I am
a diabetic myself but my husband and children all play an important role in
the benefits  of my health: not to mention the rest of my family ( parents,
sister,niece....) .  Just think of it as if they were parts of my
body...things just wouldn't function the same if I were missing an arm or a
leg...I could cope but it works much better if we all work together. This
site is for the benefit of ANYONE who is involved with diabetes.  Be it the
diabetic him/herself ,another family member, friends, a doctor, a pump
trainer....I'm sure you get the point.  ANYONE who needs the benefit or the
support is welcome. That's what it's here for. Apparently the individual
must've had a bad day (giving them the benefit of the doubt) or has no
common courtesy!  Besides, if you would drop off the list you would only be
satisfying them.  You woudn't want to do that now, would you?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Todd Beall" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>; "pump, Insulin" <email @ redacted>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2000 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Moms unite/dropping off the list/Newsweek response

> <Mary wrote:
> <I am on the verge of dropping off this list because I am wondering if
> all list members share the sentiment written to me by a fellow list
> member that stated that I don't know as much as "they" do because I am
> not a person with diabetes myself. I "only take care of a five year old
> and husband that are both Type 1..Does everyone here think that I am not
> a "peer" because I don't
> have diabetes?>
> Hi Mary,
> PLEASE don't drop off this list because of one or two posts. It is easy
> for all of us to write things in haste--one of the dangers of emails vs.
> letter writing (at least with letters you have to actually decide to
> mail it after writing it!).
> REMEMBER that just because one or two folks write something without
> perhaps thinking about it as carefully as they should, most of us don't
> agree with those posts. I have Type 1 myself, but I can surely say that
> while she was alive, my mother was just as much a part of the "team" as
> anyone else. Of course your opinion is just as important.
> May I encourage all of us to try not to get so emotional over posts? I
> myself responded to David and George when they didn't see much wrong
> with the Newsweek article (the biggest problem I saw was minimizing Type
> 1 diabetes)--but now with some of the reactions against David (esp. the
> one that accused him of being a Type 2, when his post--if read
> carefully--implied that he was a Type 1), I feel that he has been
> unfairly villianized. David was pointing out (and apparently so was the
> Newsweek article) that biochemically Type 2 is more complex than Type
> 1--not that Type 1 was less serious. My point, of course, is that
> laypeople who read the Newsweek article will equate complex with
> serious, and thus a misrepresentation will have taken effect. I have no
> clue biochemically which is more "complex," but all of us know how
> serious both are! So while I disagree with David and George on the
> impact of the Newsweek article, I don't think they should be jumped on
> for their attempts to set the facts straight.
> So please, let's give one another a break, and not be so fast to jump
> all over one another! (And if someone jumps all over us, just move
> on--it's only one person's opinion, not the group's!) I know we're all
> serious about coping with our diabetes (or our children's or spouse's),
> but let's try and be a bit nicer to one another in the process.
> Thanks!
> Todd
> P.S. On that same note, my remark about more women tending to name their
> pumps than men was meant to be humorous--nothing more!! (Some took it a
> bit too seriously!)
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml

for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml