Re: [IP] Moms unite

In a message dated 9/3/2000 12:15:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  would probably be less compassionate, knowledgeable and involved if
>  it were me who had this disease rather than one of my children whose
>  quality of lives I place a higher value on than my own.

Knowing that being a mom of diabetic kids can be a terrible strain and a non
stop venture I do hope that you don't differentiate in the value of your life
from that of your kids.  It's just as important that you prioritize your self
care and health as tend to that of your children.  In the end you are a team
and I can't imagine what they would do without you.  Personally I respect my
mom equally for the care and love she offered to me as a child as for the
fact that she sent me to diabetes camp in the summer which was a great
experience for me and a much needed break for her!  In fact I wish she had
taken similar steps MORE often because I often grew up feeling guilty that so
much of her time was spent on me and a bit smothered.

As for knowlege...I do think that our knowledge bases are somewhat different
on this list but none more or less valuable than another.  Don't
underestimate the compassion your children are learning from this experience.
 Growing up with diabetes certainly gave me an uncanny ability to empathize
with others who were struggling or in some way different and a curiosity that
has served me well (considering that I now teach at the university!).

I do regret that it took me as long as it did in life to really thank my
mother fully for all she did for me.  Kids vary and yours may be able to say
thank you now or it may take ten years but know that there are many, many on
this list who truly respect and honor all that the moms and dads are doing.

And as Sara SP said the commonality here is pumping and we have plenty to
learn from one another!