[IP] Re: Moms unite

I haven't considered leaving because I learn so much here BUT at
times I have felt a little invisible/ignored and/or that I'm not
accepted because I am not diabetic.

As for your questions, *I* don't think it makes your knowledge of
diabetes any less but then, I AM just a mere mom of a diabetic
too (or as Jan & Elvis would say, type 3) and not diabetic
myself, so my opinion may not count for much. :) What would I say
to such a person? Seriously? "Kiss the crack!" Sorry, but that
(or some variant of it) IS what I would say (just remember - you
asked!) :) I may not have diabetes myself but sometimes I feel
like I am diabetic by proxy, know what I mean (I'm sure you

Oh, and speaking of choices, I don't remember ever being given a
choice of whether I wanted to deal with this disease or not
either. Sure, there will come a day where I will not have to
manage it 24/7/365, but it will always be a part of my life
whether I want it to be or not.

Bottom line, we are all dealing with the same awful disease,
let's not turn things into a p*ssing contest.

Mary said:
Hello all,

I am on the verge of dropping off this list because I am
wondering if all list members share the sentiment written to me
by a fellow list member that stated that I don't know as much as
"they" do because I am not a person with diabetes myself. I "only
take care of a five year old and husband that are both Type
1..Does everyone here think that I am not a "peer" because I
don't have diabetes?

This person also wrote:
The fact remains however that when your daughter grows up you
will no longer have to be her caregiver. You may choose to
continue to help manage her diabetes but that is what it will
be..  a choice. Your daughter, your husband, and I myself have no
such choice. In all likelihood we will be diabetic until we draw
our last breath.

Does this make my knowledge of diabetes any less? How would you
moms respond to such a person who obviously has no idea what we
go through?

Take care, Kerri, alulitsuti (mother of many children) due 4/12
"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today." Cherokee proverb