[IP] Newsweek and DM "types" -- VENT

As a type 2, I'm considering dropping off the site because I don't have the
"gawdawful" form of DM and, although I have DM and am even a pumper, I'm
beginning to question whether others believe I "belong" here. Never have I
felt so denigrated. I had no idea that many type 1s felt that way about us. I
thought that since we all had to walk the same BG tightrope and try to stave
off the same complications that we were all in this together.

Although I'm "only" a type 2, I, too, have the almost-losing-consciousness
lows and the throwing-up highs. I've had the high microalbumin scare and in a
heart monitoring unit, so I take an ACE inhibitor as well as another blood
pressure med. I take meds to lower my cholesterol. (In addition to having DM,
type 2s happen to have a little problem with being at higher risk for DVD.)
I've been hospitalized for surgery for osteomylitis and did a course of IV
antibiotics for that. I go through about 250 strips and about 2 vials of
insulin a month. My husband is always watching me because he knows I'm low
before I do. I have the same problems with exercise and BGs as everybody
else. I see my endo and have an A1c done every quarter (usually in the 5th
and 6th percentiles, and I work very hard at that). I am overweight, but I
have a job, do volunteer work, sit on two boards, cook from scratch, bake my
own bread and chase after two small grandchildren who live with us much of
the time, so I don't believe I'm overly lazy.

Because I'm a writer by profession, know about diabetes and *can* do it, I
publish a special section on diabetes each November to insert in the
newspaper I work for. I do that on my own time as my contribution to diabetes
education. And you know what? I briefly tell people the difference between
type 1 and type 2 -- and then do not differentiate again. Know why? Because I
feel that, then, people may get the idea that ALL diabetes is serious! I try
to have a kids page. (Last year's page included items about diabetes camp, a
3-year-old pumper, the Pump Girls and the DPT-1 trials.) I try to explain
what the doctor should be doing to follow the standards of care. (To let
people know what their docs SHOULD be doing.) I explain why an HbA1c is
important. I explain why testing is important. I explain today's theory on
food choices. This year, I'm doing a Q&A section with doctors in the
appropriate specialty areas about the different complications. (And having
trouble, in some instances, finding a doc who knows both about their
specialty area AND DM! So far, my best ones are a neurologist and an
ophthalmologist -- both of whom also have DM.) Also for this year, I
interviewed a parent on this list about what it feels like to have a child
diagnosed with DM.

If you read Diabetes Interview, I'm the author of the article about DM and
hospitals in the August 2000 issue.I also have appeared on a local news show
where I talked about the different methods of treatment and even demonstrated
a changeout on camera. I am educating my PCP about the pump. When I was in
the hospital earlier this summer, I educated a lot of the staff there about
the pump and taught them something about diabetes as well.

Diabetes. Not just type 2 diabetes, but diabetes. Period.

Because I still believe we're all in this together, no matter what type we

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Jan (and Elvis)