[IP] reply to David D.--Type 1, Not as COMPLEX??

One time, long time ago, a former sister-in-law of mine was stupid enough to
ask me to agree that her mother's breast removal surgery (due to some sort of
nonmalignant cysts) was worse that my mother's (due to a CANCEROUS tumor that
also had at that point invaded three of her lymph nodes).

At the time I told her that thank God I wasn't in either one of their shoes
and that I was not about to second guess either of them.  In her naive way
she was only looking at how her mother was still married and would be self
conscience of her appearance whereas my father had died years earlier.  She
didn't even consider that her mother had a supporting husband and that my
mother was going it alone.

Well, my Mother died 8/21/99, one day before her 82nd birthday, and about
five months short of her goal to see the new millennium.  Something she said
she had thought of when she retired in 1984 (15 years before!!).

You need to expand your thoughts with a flair for compassion.  Please don't
tell me that my type 1 diabetes is not as complex.  I am remarkably healthy
for having the D for 32 years even though I have had 5 hand surgeries, one
laser surgery, and two c-sections in the last 16 years.

I do not know how much more complex a disease could be when you consider that
when I was pregnant if I ate one too many saltines for the morning sickness
my blood sugar would go up 100 pts!!!  Oh, even when I am not pregnant, if I
vomit from the flu, high blood sugar, or whatever, more than three times in
an hour or so I am on my way to the emergency room for at least three IV bags
being pushed through my veins due to the dehydration.

Add Type 1 and stress and you will have a nineteen year old that goes into
the hospital to get my wisdom teeth out.  Pre Pump my blood sugar was in the
600's right before surgery, thirty minutes later in the recovery room it was
hovering around 150.  And this was on half of my normal morning NPH dose.

I am just forty-one and last year started to take ACE inhibitors due to
micoralbuminaria.  It took me almost two months before I didn't feel like
passing out every time I got up from the floor (playing with my six year
old!) too quickly to answer the phone.  It still happens every now and then,
but not as often.

David, I am sorry but you struck my nerve!  One more thing--I even fell and
broke my arm once while having an insulin reaction.  Now I can get myself out
of a 24 thanks to being hypoglycemic unaware.  I do not even drive to the
grocery store without testing my blood sugar.

Sorry to all the people on this list that are not as narrow minded.