[IP] reply to David D.

I am assuming that you yourself are Type II because your post has such a
defensive tone to it. Let me shed some light on some of the misconceptions
you may be harboring about Type 1s.
You are as guilty as Newsweek is by dismissing Type 1 by saying "In type 1
the beta cells are attacked and die off. The treatment is to inject insulin."
 Insulin must be artificially introduced into the body by means of an
injection or an insulin pump. Sounds simple, right? WRONG! The introduction
of insulin doesn't suddenly make everything OK again. By injection or by
pump, you are trying to mimic the workings of a human organ, can it get more
complex than that?  It is a constant rollercoaster of keeping close to normal
As you are obviously unaware, when the liver senses a dangerous blood sugar
low, it puts out counterregulatory hormones in all diabetics, which causes a
rebound that cannot be fixed by simply taking a shot! It is often a vicious
cycle which requires another shot, which is sometimes followed by another
low, you get the picture....
Type 2 is not more complex than Type 1. All diabetics experience the same
complications and are subject to the same restrictions. While both diseases
are called by the same name, they cannot be judged on equal footing. While I
am sure that each of us (Type 1s and Type 2s) feels that our lot in life is
harsher than that of the other, the next time I change my five year olds set,
I will reassure her with how lucky she is not to have to "more complex"
diabetes which could be treated with several different oral medications.
What I think we need to concentrate on here, is that apparently both types of
diabetes have been very seriously misrepresented. The diabetic community
should be sticking together, not becoming divisive, with "We're more complex
that you are" attitudes. It is Type 2 that consistently gets reported on in
the media, it is always Type 2 that gets consistent research funding, and it
is always Type 2s that reap the benefits of new oral medications. Oh, how I
wish I could give my daughter a pill instead of a shot. My point simply is
that an article called "Diabetes" should be all encompassing, their piece of
fiction should have been named Type 2 Diabetes.  As they state in their
article, the "other kind, juvenile" diabetes is an entirely different disease
and it was not done justice in Newsweek's one sided narrow presentation,
which, by the title of the article, implied it was an all encompassing
article on Diabetes, both kinds. Believe me, they didn't even scratch the

Mary K

In a message dated 9/1/00 11:33:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,