RE: [IP] newsweek on line

<original posts>
<On 1 Sep 00, at 12:32, David Dougherty wrote:
> I must be missing something. What parts of the story are inaccurate?
>  David
<George wrote: You're not alone, David.  I wonder if the online article
is different from the print?>

George, the main problem with the article as I see it is that the
uninformed reader could get the idea that Type 1 is uncomplicated and
simple to treat, while Type 2 is really tricky and tough! That is

Here's a (2-paragraph) quote from the online article:

<In normal people, the pancreas secretes insulin in response to a rise
in blood sugar, which happens after a meal. The relatively uncommon
type-1 diabetes is marked by a straightforward shortage of insulin,
which typically shows up around puberty.     Researchers consider this
an autoimmune disease, possibly brought on by a viral infection. And the
treatment is straightforward in concept, if not always in practice: you
supply the missing insulin, if necessary by injecting it before meals.
Although the name “juvenile” diabetes has stuck, it’s a disease you have
for life; luckily, though, there’s no evidence that its incidence is on
the rise in the United States.

Type 2 is an altogether more complicated disease, a spiraling
derangement in a network of positive and negative feedback loops linking
the pancreas, liver (which stores and releases glucose), muscles,
nerves, fat cells and brain (the only organ capable of deciding not to
open a pint of rum-raisin ice cream). Perversely, the muscle cells
refuse to absorb glucose from the blood, a
phenomenon called insulin resistance. . . . What could cause such a
devastating misreading of biochemical messages? Inevitably, genetics
seems to play a role.>

Also, the author(s) don't seem to have a clue as to how an insulin pump
works, or that tons of type 1 folks are on pumps--and perpetuates the
stereotype that no diabetics can eat sugar! I've been fighting that one
for years! People think that a baked potato is fine (and doesn't require
insulin), but cake is not! I'm not talking about nutritional value
here--I'm talking carbohydrates. The writer(s) don't seem to have a

If I were reading the article, I'd definitely think that Type 1 was far
easier to control than Type 2. What nonsense! And no one mentions that
Type 1 folks need to test their blood sugars 5-10 times a day, etc.,

While there are lots of aspects of the article that are correct, there's
a whole lot that should have been written differently!