[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #454

>Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:30:39 EDT
>From: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Newsweek's Cover story for Sept 4
>Kevin and Everybody Else;
>I couldn't agree more!  And to think Newsweek is capable of printing such
>damaging misinformation.  My husband and I were so excited and happy to see
>this big splashy cover on "Diabetes".  Then we started reading it in bed and
>became increasingly disgusted.  Technically inaccurate, it IGNORES AND
>MINIMIZES TYPE 1, and does yet more damage to the public's perception that
>Type 1 diabetes is no big deal.  The fact is, it is much worse than most
>cases of Type 2.  JDF's public relations person MUST respond to this crap!
>Newsweek is too important of a magazine to let this go.  Also, responses from
>our group wouldn't hurt either.  Everybody listen up: WRITE NEWSWEEK !
>Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:00:13 EDT
>From: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Newsweek's Cover story for Sept 4
>In a message dated 9/1/00 1:50:31 PM !!!First Boot!!!, email @ redacted
><< They also advise,
>  "luckily it is not on the rise"! Maybe they should
>  speak with some of the recent Dx'd members on this
>  list. They unbelievable state that T-2 is an
>  'altogether more complicated disease' , >>
>I read the Newsweek article on Diabetes last night and also felt the same as
>you.  Why didn't they have someone more knowledgeable write the article?
>Shame on them for writing such a sloppy article and for stating untruths such
>as "luckily, though, there's no evidence that its incidence is on the rise in
>the U.S." (referring to type I) How can they say that?  My son's middle
>school last year had at least 12 children with diabetes out of 500 kids.  At
>his high school this year there are many more.  I know that's not how it was
>when I was his age. Why don't they do an article on the rise of type I
>  Marilyn

Dear Marilyn and Others,

I agree that the printed Newsweek article did not accurately portray Type 1
diabetes.  The health editor and producer of the article, Claudia Kolb, was
on a question-and-answer chat line through Newsweek and did provide a
couple of comments that relate a slightly better perspective to Type 1
diabetes.  Below are two of the questions posed to her and the answers she

Question 1
>Arlington, VA: Between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, which is the more
>complicated and serious form of diabetes?
>Claudia Kalb: They can both be devastating diseases that can lead to
>serious complications. Type 1 affects children and teenagers, often coming
>on during puberty as the pancreas is no longer able to produce insulin. It
>is believed to be an autoimmune disease. Patients must take insulin
>injections daily—which can of course put enormous stress on young people.
>Type 2, as we discuss in the story, is now affecting younger and younger
>people. Some five million people don’t even know they have the disease,
>which means that complications may be silently developing. Both of these
>diseases are serious and both, of course, need careful monitoring by
>patient and doctor.

Question 2
>Newport Beach, Ca.: The publicity that Type 2 diabetes gets is great. In
>your article you speak about Type 2 and the tremendous explosion in
>growth. What about Type 1 diabetes? Only 5 percent of those with diabetes
>have Type 1 but a great percentage of the media concentrates on Type 2.
>Claudia Kalb: Type 1 diabetes certainly deserves attention as well. Plenty
>of reporters have written about it and organizations like the Juvenile
>Diabetes Foundation International (1-800-JDF-CURE) have helped raise
>awareness about the disease. We decided to focus on type 2 this week
>because of a new report issued by the Centers for Disease Control and
>Prevention just last week documenting striking new information about the
>rising prevalence of the disease.

Pastor Dave Reinhardt