[IP] The hard way or the harder way...

We have all been talking about which is the harder way to have children.
I know we were really talking about the way we "get" children, but stop
and think about it for a minute.

Even if it takes three years and having sex four times a day (either
with your significant other, or with the director of the adoption agency
;^)...) the end result is that you have only gotten a TASTE of how
"hard" it is going to be for the next forty or fifty years. My wife has
three kids, two boys and me. You ask HER if it isn't hard. So as to sort
of keep this message related to insulin pumping I thought I would tell
you all why I am even bothering to mention the difficulties of having
children of our own to take care of.

A twenty five year old girl in town developed diabetes during her first
pregnancy and she still needs to take insulin. Her "gestational"
diabetes was true type I and her husband was worried that it would
"interfere" with her life and since he knew that it "interfered" with MY
life I was asked to visit with her and discuss the various
"complication" that I was "forced" to live with and how I had dealt with
them. I had only been dealing with these complications for a little over
thirty five years, so many people at work consider me "the expert".
Yeah, right.

So I finally managed to get my foot in her door. (Actually I just wanted
to go visit her 'cause she is a cute young blonde girl). Her six month
old baby girl was curled up in her arms the whole time I spoke with her.
Our kids were about three and a half years old and about six months old,
so I figured she really didn't have a clue, yet. She now has a pump, a
dad with a pump, and three more kids two of which are twins.

They just finished remodeling their house by adding a second story.

Now, I ask you, which of ALL of these things would YOU consider most
disruptive of a life? Perhaps I am just lucky, I deal with my insulin
dependence very much the same way I deal with my oxygen dependence and
hydro oxic acid dependence (H20).

But our kids are going to be the most disruptive, costly, time consuming
and even frustrating job of work we will EVER live with. I would
consider myself lucky.

The girl is now a woman. She is still cute, too. She runs again and
recently completed her THIRD marathon since becoming dependent on OTHER
people's insulin (remember, EVERYONE is insulin dependent}. And she has
four wild animals to take care of. Currently she does NOT use her pump,
she takes multiple injections and drives her husband crazy with rather
frequent hypoglycemic episodes. But, she still doesn't think of raising
a family as a disability.

So that's my story. It reminds me that I can remain totally insane and
STILL live a "perfectly normal life".

Your mileage may vary :^)

Nick Trubov
Fort Smith, AR