[IP] nightime basals AGAIN!-Eve

deborah,

boy this is a real thinker.  geneva asked me again this am..."mom, WHEN are
you going to stop coming in my room to test at night?!!"

all I can say is that it looks as if we are going to have to make nightly
assumptions based on how the BG's are around bedtime.  I am finding that if
G. is running high, that:
a) I will  have to do more checks because I know I will end up bolusing two
or three times!
b) that my temp basal won't work

geneva is now running low again also.  up down, up down it goes.  no pattern
whatsover.

last night she went to bed and was started to drop.  8:15  >  115,  8:30 >
90!  (I had a suspicion and did a check). gave her about 10 cho of milk and
I set the temp basal for 1.0 when she went to sleep and sure enough...at
1:00 she was only 82.
put her on a temp basal for 0.0 for an hour...thinking this would be enough
to bring her up to a reasonable level.  she comes into my room at 2:30
saying she was only 58.  we temp basaled again for 2 hours of 0.0 and
treated again.  wouldn't you know she was 258 this am!

michael mentioned adjusting the "go to sleep" temp basal according to
bedtime BG.  .1 point per 10 points below target or the opposite.  this
makes sense.  if I had followed this rule last night...I would NOT have set
the temp basal at 1.0.  I should have done ...let's see...
target 120-130
less her 90 that she fell to before we treated.    that is 30-40 points.
so...her temp basal should be   .3-.4 LESS than the 1.0.

I should have kept her on a 0.6 to 0.7 basal.  then she would not have been
so low in middle of night.

there is some sense to this math mess.

the trick is to catch the pattern emerging when she goes to sleep.  (this
also hinges on what the last food item was also....geneva didn't snack after
dinner at 6 )

michael, please step in here to add 0.2!

ruth

> I know we have discussed this subject forever, but I guess, I, unlike
Ruth,