From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf
Of Sam Skopp
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 12:21 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Type 2 versus type 1

 >On a personal note, I had to tell my doctor I thought I had diabetes. He
 >laughed at me (I was only in my 30s), but ordered the tests to humor me.
 >fasting level was 311. "Yep, you have diabetes," he said. "Here. Follow
 >Don't eat any sugar."

Reminds me of when I was first diagnosed, at age 37. The doctor took me
aside in a hallway and said "looks like you have diabetes". He then just
casually asked me to talk to a nurse about taking injections and start on
insulin. He prescribed a huge dose of L (at least it was a lot more than I
would need for a few years) and that was the end of that. I walked out in
shock and without any information about diet or even anything about
hypoglycemia. This was at a major Kaiser Permanente medical facility in
West Los Angeles.

A few days later, after talking to my sister who is also a type 1 diabetic,
I switched doctors (and eventually medical plans) and he checked me into
the hospital for a week. Both my wife and I got all sorts of education and
we started slow with the insulin until we could figure out what dose I
really needed.

 >On diet control, you can't deviate without causing high BGs. I lasted on
 >for awhile, but my BGs started climbing. I suppose. After all, like a
type 1,
 >I wasn't told to test. I was eventually put on oral meds. They didn't
 >Still, my doctor (another one by this time) kept trying pill combination
 >after pill combination on me.

I hadn't thought about this... I know one person at work who is type 2 and
on pills. He apparently found a combination that works well fairly
readily... but obviously he may not be typical.

 >Frankly, I'd much rather take insulin (pumping it, of course!) and have a
 >life than having to control DM on diet or oral meds and feeling absolutely

You are absolutely right. Everyone should have the available tools to make
them feel as "normal" as possible. Obviously you weren't getting what you
needed. I would blame the medical care you were receiving... they obviously
either didn't have a clue about how you were feeling, or didn't really care.

 >That's type 2, Sam. You're not taken seriously, you're not given the
 >care and you're not educated. In fact, the first time I was referred to an
 >educator was when I started taking insulin.

I find that totally mind-boggling... with all the education that's out
there now, it's hard to believe the ignorance! You would think that at
least the medical establishment would know better... (sigh)