Re: [IP] How long did it take to get on the pump?

In a message dated 9/29/99 9:29:04 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I would like to know how long it took from the time you even mentioned
 to your doctor, until the time you started pump therapy.  >>
It took me about six months. My doctor sent me to a CDE who said I could be a
good candidate. She made me do extensive testing and MDI. Part of the reason
for the wait was to make sure I would test 6-10 times a day for an extended
period of time.  She wanted to see my dedication to achieving good control
before approving the pump. She wanted to put many diabetics on pumps and
didn't want people in the program that were not going to make a serious
effort at the pump and give up easily or not show good improvement from
pumping.  After she was convinced I would do my part, she pushed it through
the insurance company for me.  She didn't want to push someone to be approved
and have them "throw the pump in a drawer" or the insurance companies and Drs
might not be so eager to approve the next person. Makes good sense, but I was
sure impatient.

Happily pumping 3 years now,