Re: [IP] cost of supplies

Usually, Eli Lilly is willing to replace a bottle of insulin that you
suspect is bad. I've done this a number of times. Call them, discuss the
situation with them. Obviously, it's not in anyone's best interest to use
insulin which is suspect.

Now the kicker. They don't send you replacement insulin. They send you a
"coupon" which you then give to your pharmacist or supplier for redemption.
Apparently, the coupons are audited by a third party, so details are very
important. The fine print on the coupon indicates a prescription for the
insulin you're replacing must be on file. So, in your case, you'd gain
little, since your current mail order supplier would be the one who'd have
to redeem the coupon. Hmmm, a free coupon to take to the vendor who screwed
it all up to begin with - arggggh!!!!! Such a deal :-|

Try this: have your doc write a prescription for your insulin to the local
pharmacy. Just file it with them, don't fill it (or buy one bottle to
"activate" the prescription). When you get a funky bottle of insulin, call
Eli Lilly at 1-800-Lilly-Rx. Ask them to replace it for you, then take the
coupon to your local pharmacy. They'll process it against your prescription
which is now on file.

I've done this, it works, and it's on my list of "tricks to get by / things
I've learned while entertaining myself with diabetes".

BTW, document in writing any problems you have with your supplier. I also
live in NY, had major probs with a mail order supplier my wife's insurance
plan insisted on using. They boiled insulin in the summer, froze it in the
winter, lost shipments, refused to replace what had been lost. I sent all
the documentation to the union person dealing with the plan supplier - they
promptly dumped the supplier.

Eventually, someone's going to smarten up and force suppliers, distributors
and manufacturers to devise a way to guarantee drugs are not destroyed
during shipment. We've spoken to the manufacturers, who insist it ain't
their problem once it leaves their plant. The FDA doesn't control trucking
and shipping. The Postal Service, UPS and FedEx aren't interested in
running drug stores. In other words, once it leaves the manufacturer's
facility, it's a crap shoot.

Bob Burnett - I'm not cheap, but I'm no dummy, either :-)
mailto:email @ redacted