[IP] Pump questions

OK, It T-2 for the arrival on my pump (MiniMed 507C) and my mind is
racing with questions about it.

I spent about an hour on the phone with them today, trying to sort
through the various questions, and I'm now more confused then ever.

First off.  Infusion sets.  Do they really NEED to be changed every 2-3
days, or is this a marketing thing (in order to sell more supplies)?
These things seem like the most overpriced items in the book (if you
minus out the incredibly overpriced pump).  How do these folks justify
charging something in the neighborhood of $250 per month JUST for
infusion sets?  Sure, the insurance company will pick up like 80-90% of
it, but I'm still paying into the insurance company and HATE seeing them
getting ripped off.  I really feel sorry for folks who either don't have
insurance, or whose insurance doesn't cover much.

Are there any other sources for supplies for the pump (or are the
supplies from the 'other' pump mfg. any cheaper)?  I know they will
work, but.......

and WHY does the damned pump cost $5000 for a NEW one, but only $450 for
a "refurbished" one?  (but you can't buy a refurb FIRST!)

Second question.  My Doc recommended the MiniMed (he uses one himself)
but have heard both good and bad about it AND the 'other' brand of
pump.  One of the reasons I kind of wanted to try the MM is the computer
interface (hey, what can I say.  I'm a gadget geek).  NOW I come to find
out the interface isn't even available yet.  WHY do companies advertise
stuff they don't offer for sale?

Third question.  Whets the story on MiniMeds (supposed) wearable BG
monitoring device?  Is this ALSO vaporware?  No one at the company would
confirm or deny, other then to say it's coming.

Fourth.  Needle or softset?  I ordered the softsets, thinking they will
be more comfortable, but have NO IDEA.  Should I even bother trying the
needles.  Any advantages/disadvantages wither either?

Getting past the salesman/company bullshit, what kind of things should I
be aware or/watch out for?  Any kind of known problem
areas/defects/issues I should keep an eye out for?

Last.  TRAVEL.  I travel extensively, including overseas and into
underdeveloped areas.  (although usually stay in developed or good
hotels/homes)  Also into places where it is HOT all the time (up to
115-120F).  Any suggestions for use, awareness issues,
backups/spares/redundants, etc.?

Thanks for any answers/opinions in advance.  Groups like this make me
thankful for computers and the internet, without which we'd all be back
in the dark.