Re: [IP] Medicare Will Covers Pumps for Type 1s

David and all,

If you read the long version of the press release (I found
a link for it on the MiniMed page), it sets out all the
requirements to get the pump covered.  They make it as
difficult as they can for anybody (even Type 1) to get one.

The requirement that really got to me was that you have to
have a C-Peptide level of less than 0.5 -- when I had my
C-Peptide done it was either a 0.7 or 0.8 -- lab values for
Type 1 were in the range of up to about 1.0 or 1.5, I
think.  Anyway, I was declared as definitely a Type 1.
However, Medicare won't pay for my pump.

Medicare is definitely not out to help anyone they don't
have to.  I wish I had an address to write to -- I would
let them know what I think about their feeble efforts to
look better without doing anything.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

--- David Flagg <email @ redacted> wrote:
> At least they have FINALLY decided to cover the pump.  It
> took a long
> time for them to cover all Diabetics with testing
> supplies, so be
> patient.  The Government doesn't work fast (unless you
> owe them taxes)
> and they will eventually cover all type 1's and 2's.
> Dave
> mail to:  email @ redacted
> Joanne Spotten wrote:
> >
> > email @ redacted wrote:
> >
> > > Yeah, yeah, yeah. Type 2s don't take insulin and we
> certainly don't pump.
> > > Right, fellow type 2 pumpers? <g>  We should just get
> off our duffs, exercise
> > > and forego sugar.
> >
> > My first thought when I saw that was they needed to
> talk to the Type 2's
> > here about that <g>.  HCFA should be able to see that
> anyone who needs
> > insulin is a potential candidate for the pump.
> >
> > Joanne

*  -- Susan K.  (^i^)               *
*      E-mail: email @ redacted  *
*        Fax: (530) 380-8851        *