[IP] Need Advise-Doc suggests Glyset?

Hi everyone,
Have really enjoyed reading your posts for a week or so now. This is a really
good therapy group for me.

Now here's the question I wanted to ask and the reason I was searching the
Internet for info.

My Primary Care doc, an internist, strongly suggested that I try Glyset
during my appt w/him. I am type 1 for 19 yrs, pumping 3 yrs, 39 yrs old. Have
most all of the complications, but most in beginning stages and holding.
What I don't like is that I've gained about 40 lbs these last 3 years of
pretty good control.  Not obese yet, but don't like my 180 lbs at 5' 8".
Started an exercise and weight training program.  Also trying a wheat-free
diet (nothing made with wheat flour, like the good stuff, pasta, bread, etc.)
and this has helped with lowering my high unpredictable through-the-night

He has treated about 50 type 2 (not type 1s) with Glyset. They experience
good weight losses and their bgs improve. It prevents carbos from being
absorbed.  It is not labeled for type 1s - I think he's trying to experiment
on me and I'm not so sure its a good idea.  If your carbs are not absorbed
you would need a lower amount of insulin, but how much lower? 10%, 30%, or
more??  If I mis-judged and over-insulined (a technical term <smile>) I could
hypo of course, and with the Glyset in my system preventing carbo absorbtion,
could be a tricky situation.  Only way out could be to inject Glucagon at
that point.

Anybody tried this drug, or is this Doc way off in left field??

Jeanie (wanting to be skinny again) in AZ