Re: [IP] kids with pumps

> Robin wrote;
> One thing that struck me as I was reading your letter is that, to me, what
> Kevin did DID seem to make sense; it's probably close to something I would
> have tried if my sugar had been running high.
> I don't want to sound at all like I'm commenting on your relationship with
> him - and especially because I don't know how old he is - but from my own
> experience when I was younger and constantly had my parents watching over
> me like a hawk that just made me want to rebel against it and them.  Maybe
> he still needs to discuss boluses and doses and all that stuff with you  -
> which I agree he does if he is still young - but remember, as much as you
> love him and want to take care of him, it is ultimately HIS disease. and in
> the future, HE will call the shots. literally, ha ha ha ha =)  Better to
> encourage that in a healthy way rather than being the Diabetes Police - I
> know it stems from your care for him, just like my mother's worrying
> stemmed from her care for me.  But that said, the faster he learns to take
> care of it, the better.  I'm impressed at what he did - he felt funny, so
> he tested. That shows he has at least some knowledge of his own body and
> the concepts behind diabetes control.  WHy not encourage that instead of
> blasting it????? Because the more his efforts to take control for himself
> are flauted, the more he will want to rebel.  Well, maybe not, but I think
> that is human instinct.  And better for him to have healthy control on his
> own then to adopt an "I'll show them" attitude.
> Sorry if I sounded harsh,
> Laura
> At 07:29 PM 9/27/99 EDT, you wrote:
> >One incredible thing we just found out....Kevin has been trying to "manage"
> >things on his own at school with his pump. It came out today that he felt he
> >needed extra insulin...so he gave himself more. He went out for recess,
> >
> >I am really upset by this, and we talked for a long long time about it.
> How I
> >cannot trust him alone with his pump. He thought he was proving he could

Yes, you can trust him, but your job is to provide the necessary
education about how to use the pump. Lily was 11 1/2 when she started
pumping. We spent a lot of time going over how to manage with a pump and
she was expected to do the rudimentary figuring etc... the objective was
not to make her do the "work" but to give her the understanding so she
could be independent of us or work things out in pinch if mom or I were
not around.

We started a couple of weeks before she began pumping with a through
reading of Pumping Insulin TOGETHER with lots of questions and answers.
Not all of it sunk in, but a lot did.... enough to make her aware of when
to ask for help. The biggest problem for the first year or so was
understanding how to make projections and figuring unused insulin, etc...
This really didn't come to pass until she was 13, but if she were high or
low she could treat appropriately (without unused insulin calculations).
It is a long rather difficult process to instill a technical education
into someone so young, but these kids are much smarter than we give them
credit for sometimes. Consider Kevin's foray's into self management a
blessing in disguise. Take advantage of it and begin the education
process wholeheartedly. You won't be sorry. You will end up with a
stronger more self sufficient young man for a son.