RE: [IP] looking for the perfect pump

George,

I'm curious about your hypos. The lowest one I've measured was 35 according
to my meter. The only symptom I had (in hindsight I might add) was a feeling
of being disconnected from reality, like I wasn't a part of what was going
on around me. I have gotten to the point I couldn't talk plainly (once the
only thing I could say was "sugar") but I have never lost consciousness. The
problem I'm having with hypos is that they are unexpected and I can no
longer sense them coming on before they have gotten very low. Once I drove
home for lunch, tested my sugar and found it at 40. It was over 100 an hour
previously. I thought this couldn't be right so I checked the meter and
checked my sugar again. The second reading was 46 and the meter checked out
OK. This is scary. Now I check my sugar before getting behind the wheel but
worry that if it drops low enough I might not have the sense not to drive.
Does any of this sound familiar to you? I am glad to hear that the pump
stopped the crashing hypos for you. My doctor recommended the pump for me
for this very reason. I also hope I get as good an HBA1C improvement as you
did. A one percentage point drop in HBA1C is pretty impressive!

I'm also curious as to whether your daily insulin requirement dropped
substantially after going on the pump. I have heard that there is sometimes
as much as a thirty percent reduction in dose.

I'm hoping to get my pump this coming week. I've decided to go with a
MiniMed 507C. I'm sure I'll need assistance when I get it. It took me a
while to learn to adjust my dosage for MDI so I know I'm in for a lot more
work learning to manage the pump.

Thanks again for the information.

David