Re: [IP] diabetes/hearing loss?

Hi Kim S.
I spoke with all 3 of the audiologists that work in the physical medicine
dept at the hospital.  One of these, specializes in pediatric audiology.  All
3 have several years of experience ( 15+ years) .  They have all found
diabetes to rarely be the cause of hearing impairment in children.  The
audiologist who specializes in adults found that on occassion, it is
responsible for or contributes to hearing loss in the elderly person with
long standing diabetes and complications of nerve damage and poor
circulation.  So, although it is possible , its not common.  Hope this
lessens your worry.   Your post also reminds me of how easy it is for
physicians to sometimes blame any illness we get on diabetes when it could be
for other reasons.  by blaming diabetes on every ache and pain, they might
miss the true cause.  Since becoming more outspoken over the years and my own
best advocate, I don't let this happen ( I get off my soapbox now  :-)  )