Re: [IP] RE: Which Pump

On 22 Sep 99 at 19:36, Bob Burnett wrote:

> Randall:
> Please do us the favor of citing your sources and specific references when you
> discuss these issues. Citations and specifics make this a much more valuable
> thread in the archives. Someday, this thread will make it to the motion
> picture screen, I'm sure ... <g>

They don't put author, publisher, date and other footnoteable references on
much of the marketing literature... what bothers me is that D users tend to get
rather vitrolic when making their accusations...  for either pump a simple
report of failure isn't much to go on.  I think some people expect too much
from their pumps...

Read some of the fine print and you may find the "fine print" that I found
where it restated the "waterproof" as "water resistant to x feet".  The
brochure I had would have been produced about two years ago.

The MM electronics are sealed (like the D) but the mechanical parts aren't.  I
think that's what the stopper on the D does - it seals the mechanical area of
the pump..

> I tried to research the statement on MM's site which states the 507c "Meets
> International Standard IEC 601-1 Specifications for watertightness". Quite
> frankly, I was never able to determine what the heck they were talking about.
> The only thing I eventually discovered is that "International Standard IEC
> 601-1" is a "non homogenized standard".

It means that IEC-601 is a generalized standard that can be applied in a wide
variety of situations.  The manufacturers sit on the committes that make these
standards anyway...

> Re: the "feature" that makes D pumps "die" after two years with the
> batteries in them ... So what's the point? There's no secrets that the pump
> have fixed life spans (arggh, I wish some of these threads had such short life
> spans <g>). We are told this going in - absolutely no surprises.

Unfortunately threads don't have a countown timer...

>  Until then, my
> little H-TronPlus V100's keep whirring along - no skipping screens, no failure
> to deliver errors, no problems with the processor stopping (oh, I forgot to
> mention, each of my pumps has two microprocessors. Cool - stereo <vbg>), no
> need to wrap the pump in tin foil if I think the air is going to be dry with
> static cling :)

That's fine.  I've never seen anyone around here with a foil-wrapped pump...
and several people wear their pump without the leather case.  I've not had any
problems like some of the people describe.  There are certain brands of
wristwatches that I cannot wear, and I can fry a cheap calculator by just
picking it up...  based on my experiences the MM works just fine.

> I'm very interested in any specific citations you can provide on the D
> having a "bad problem with susceptability to magnetic and RF fields". Not
> trying to be picky, but as most of my friends know, I like to collect these
> little tid bits of information. These specifics are invaluable in impassioned
> discussions with intelligent consumers.

At a meeting at a local hospital a nurse described her D pump going into
"runaway" mode when she walked past a site in the hospital where there was an
arc welder running on the other side of a plywood construction barricade...
She told us that the pump suddenly started making a funny noise and her site
started hurting... so she reached in her clothing and pulled the site out and
stood there for a minute while the pump imitated a squirt gun...  She said that
when she sent it back she was told that it's brains had been fried by the
magnetic field...  I've seen other anecdotal mentions of D pumps either
stopping or going into "runaway" mode while someone is working on an RF
transmitter or otherwise exposed to high RF fields.  I don't think either of
the manufacturers has published a study on this, and it's not the kind of thing
that would be funded by anyone else.  If they have performed the study they
aren't talking about it...

> Your last statement is the best. As health care consumers, we need to know
> ourselves, know our goals, understand our limits and understand the products /
> choices available to us. As crude an analogy as this might be, pump shopping
> is a lot like shopping for cars or computers. It's not always fun talking to
> "Chevy people" if you're looking for a Ford, but it can be very enlightening
> <g>

That's the key thing, but both pumps are decent equipment and neither company
should be accused of "misinformation" without considering that the marketing
people involved probably don't have a technical or health care background.  I'd
prefer to think of "Lincoln" people talking to "Renault" people...  one is a
local product while the other is an import... <vbg>

As long as we don't let the conversation get nasty with attacks against one
company or group then legitimate comparisons are fine.  I'd like to be able to
have a full set of pumps, so I could wear one brand when I'm on my sailboat and
the other kind when I'm eating pizza...

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.