Re: [IP] RE: Which Pump

Randall:

Please do us the favor of citing your sources and specific references when
you discuss these issues. Citations and specifics make this a much more
valuable thread in the archives. Someday, this thread will make it to the
motion picture screen, I'm sure ... <g>

At 05:07 PM 9/22/99 +0000, you wrote:
>On 16 Sep 99 at 9:26, Anika Schon wrote:
>
> > I would add that MM's pump comparison literature was not merely
> competitive,
> > it was inaccurate (so as not to say "they lied") in such a way as to
> cast the
> > competitor's product in a less favorable light. (duh. big surprise).
> >    For example, they claimed that Disetronic's pump is "water resistant"
> > rather than waterproof.As the owner of a Disetronic H-TRONplus, I can
> say it
> > is definitely waterproof, and that is even without use of the red tappet.
>
>Some of Disetronic's own literature says "water resistant"... I don't think
>it's right to accuse MM when they just quote D's own marketing
>literature.  And
>D has a bad problem with susceptability to magnetic and RF fields...  And
>then
>there's the "feature" that makes D pumps die after two years with the
>batteries
>in them...

Hmmm. Interesting. I don't think any of us realized that MM was "quoting"
D's marketing literature - why would they do that? I for one, have read
most every piece of literature that D has released in the past several
years, and can't recall seeing the description "water resistant" when
referring to the D. To the contrary, D typically proudly proclaims the
"water proof" feature of their pump :)

For a real interesting read on the question of what does "waterproof"
really mean in the practical world (definitely *not* pump related at all),
try taking a look at:
http://www.iwol.com/iww/customers/westmarine/advisor/electronics/03.html I
came across this gem quite accidentally one day while researching some
other topics. It helps me keep this whole topic in perspective.

I tried to research the statement on MM's site which states the 507c "Meets
International Standard IEC 601-1 Specifications for watertightness". Quite
frankly, I was never able to determine what the heck they were talking
about. The only thing I eventually discovered is that "International
Standard IEC 601-1" is a "non homogenized standard". I was left with the
impression that the "standard" either doesn't exist, or exists in such a
limited context as to render it "non standard". Please someone, tell me
what this means, so I can figure out if the 507c is really water tight <vbg>

Re: the "feature" that makes D pumps "die" after two years with the
batteries in them ... So what's the point? There's no secrets that the pump
have fixed life spans (arggh, I wish some of these threads had such short
life spans <g>). We are told this going in - absolutely no surprises. The
pumps alarm at 8 weeks, 6 weeks, 4 weeks, 2 weeks prior to the TSI
(Technical Safety Inspection). If you choose to ignore the alarms, or sleep
through them for 8 weeks, like Rip Van Winkle, you swap over to the other
one when your first one is "finished". No problemo, it can be reset by Tech
Support. Until then, my little H-TronPlus V100's keep whirring along - no
skipping screens, no failure to deliver errors, no problems with the
processor stopping (oh, I forgot to mention, each of my pumps has two
microprocessors. Cool - stereo <vbg>), no need to wrap the pump in tin foil
if I think the air is going to be dry with static cling :)

I'm very interested in any specific citations you can provide on the D
having a "bad problem with susceptability to magnetic and RF fields". Not
trying to be picky, but as most of my friends know, I like to collect these
little tid bits of information. These specifics are invaluable in
impassioned discussions with intelligent consumers.

> >     The "comparison"  contained other falsehood and omissions about the
> > Disetronic.
> >     For me, truthfulness counts, and that ended up being one more
> factor in my
> > own decision. Perhaps that truthfulness problem was limited to thier promo
> > dept. but I couldn't be sure.
> >    For you, that may or may not be an issue, but Buyer Beware: It's best to
> > consider the source of information especially when it is about the
> competitor.
> >

>Same question that's often asked of MM users when they promote their pump
>using this type of reasoning - Did you get a promotional consideration for
>the
>somewhat veiled insinuations about the "competition?  Both companies make
>fairly good equipment.  D's flake out in high magnetic/RF fields but take a
>bath.  MM's can sometimes be drowned but stand up pretty well in a high
>magnetic/RF environment.  If you want to make a rep for either company squirm
>ask them if their equipment can be considered "intrinsically safe" - that
>means
>it is safe to use in an explosive atmosphere...
>
>It's always "buyer beware" - and some of the tricky stuff is due to the fact
>that it is a competitive market...  just wait until some of the rumored
>additions to the pump vendor group materialize and we'll see more odd
>marketing
>hype from all the companies.  The best bet is to go with the company that
>has a
>rep/trainer in your area that you can deal with.  The D rep for this region
>apparently has ceased to exist again...  several people have requested
>information and it never comes, where MM returns the calls within a few
>hours...  functionally both pumps perform well and can be used to achieve bg
>goals...

Your last statement is the best. As health care consumers, we need to know
ourselves, know our goals, understand our limits and understand the
products / choices available to us. As crude an analogy as this might be,
pump shopping is a lot like shopping for cars or computers. It's not always
fun talking to "Chevy people" if you're looking for a Ford, but it can be
very enlightening <g>

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted