Re: [IP] Minimed Continuous Glucose Monitor Trial

Yes the Continuous BG Monitor has its own infusion set, and inserts into its
very own site.  The goal in the future is for the pump and sensor to work
together but think about it:  inserting the CGMS too near the pump would
result in local low blood sugars that don't reflect what your body sees as a
whole.  That's why we inserted the CGMS on the other side, though that's
just what we decided to do, minimed didn't specify any particular distance
away that the CGMS should be from the pump, from what I read.  Actually the
trial I was in was not to evaluate the sensor itself, it was to evaluate the
sensor for use in the closed-loop pump, which is the pump + CGMS.  That's
why I had to wear two sensors, the doctors wanted to test the repeatability
of the sensors.

One cool thing was that dr saudek stopped by, he's the one running the
trials and he's going to be the president of the ADA soon.  he was so sweet
and he listened to my family's ideas and talked as long as we liked.
Overall this trial was a great experience and I'm going back in the fall for
a "clamp" test where I have a glucose and insulin IV and they clamp me to a
particular bg and measure how long it takes before the CGMS reads that bg in
my interstitial fluid.  That determines the decision making ability of the
CGMS because you wouldn't want the cgms to think you're at 300 and bolus you
for that, when in fact there's a delay and really you're down to 250.

Stay in control everyone!!

>From: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IP] Minimed Continuous Glucose Monitor Trial
>Miranda, the sensor inserts into your skin separate from the pump site?
>Somehow i was thinking it became part of the pump??????  Do you think this
>would be good for kids?

Miranda Miller
Electro-Optics Engineer
TRW Systems / Nightvision Labs