Re: [IP] allergic to humalog???

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Tirza Roda wrote:
> I am starting to think I might be having very mild allergic reactions to the
> humalog. My sites get mildly itchy at some point during my second day. My
> bloodsugar levels do not seem affected though. I have tried several
> different types of tape, sandwiching the set between pieces of tape as well
> as different applications of other layers (such as Skin-Tac H) underneath
> the tapes. I put a piece of the IV-3000 on a seperate area on my belly, now
> 5 days ago... not itchy at all. One thing I haven't tried is to not use the
> IV-prep first.

If you really are allergic to some component of the humalog to the extent
that it produces a reaction, you best see an allergist. Many
sensitivities get progressively worse with time and can at some point be
dangerous. I'm not a doc, but I doubt that mixing would help this kind of
situation. You should do your best to isolate the area that itches so you
can accurately describe it to an allergist. You can try to isolate and
identify the problem by the process of elimination. You might try
switching to Velosulin or Regular insulin for a couple of weeks and see
if it goes away. A young man did this recently and discovered that he was
allergic to the Humalog. He now uses Velosulin. Novo is in the process of
certifying its own brand of lispro that may not have the same components
in the buffer. That might work if you are sensitive to Humalog. If not,
perhaps you are allergic to some material in the infusion set itself.
There are a few people with this type of allergy. Try using another type
for a couple of weeks if the Insulin switch does not work. Perhaps get a
couple of samples of 'rapids' just to eliminate the teflon.

Michael