[IP] Minimed Continuous Glucose Monitor Trial

After I read Fran's experience with the Cygnus Glucowatch trial, I realized
that I haven't yet posted my experiences with the Minimed CGMS Trial.  I did
an inpatient clinical trial at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore a couple of months
ago.  I entered the hospital in the evening, and two CGMS's were attached to
my stomach on the opposite side from the pump.  Like the watch, the cgms
takes an hour to 'warm up' before calibration can be done, so I went to
dinner... unfortunately the hospital food rose my bg's high so calibration
was done to a slightly higher bg than I would have liked.  Then I went a
little low overnite (50) from overbolusing and the sensor picked that up.
Two finger sticks were required to calibrate each sensor, as it's a
two-point calibration.  Then the sensor was left in me overnight to
equalize.  An IV nurse came in at 4 AM to put an IV in.  The neat thing was
that when we downloaded the bg data, I could see the point at which she
stuck me because my bg JUMPED.  She was a very bad nurse and pricked me
multiple times before getting an IV in right, meanwhile yelling at me that I
was dehydrated and my veins were too slow and jumping around. Apparently one
sensor didn't equalize well overnight so had to be replaced in the morning
and recalibrated.

In the morning we started the mixed-meal tolerance test where I was given a
"milkshake" with an exact carb-pro-fat proportion and blood was drawn thru
my IV every 5 minutes, at the same time the CGMS took data.  I was given
half my regular bolus so that the sensor could read the big swing in BG I
would take.  The same thing happened at lunch only I was allowed to correct
for my high and take the entire bolus I required.  The sensor continued
reading data until my high came down to about 160 and I left at 5 pm, just
in time for some bad hospital food.  Unfortunately, I must have moved around
and one sensor hit a blood vessel and had to be removed before the test was

I'm going to get a copy of my bg data, if anyone is interested in seeing the
results, let me know and I'll email it (probably excel spreadsheet).  I have
to tell you from what I could tell, this device really works.  I did some
finger pricks and the data points that I took did look pretty close to what
the sensor was reading.  The sensor inserts into the stomach just like a
silhouette set does.  But the spring-clip is HARD to get off and on the
device, which you have to do to download the data.

If anyone is interested in doing a trial like this, hopkins still needs
stay in control!

Miranda Miller
Electro-Optics Engineer
TRW Systems / Nightvision Labs