Re: [IP] Help! Puberty ahead

In a message dated 9/19/99 9:30:38 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< So, when kids
 are starting puberty, does their sugar go up and down in little cycles?  And
 if so, as I'm beginning to suspect, how in the heck do you manage basal
 rates that change every 3 weeks? >>

I'll bet you're right, that Jenna's starting to produce hormones that are
affecting her  blood sugars.  I've been pumping 3 years, and the fluctuations
in my cycle are my biggest problem. I generally need about a 30-50% (pretty
big) up in my basals a few days before my period starts, and a lower than
normal basal the first and sometimes second day of the start.  Of course, she
may well have a couple years before she starts, but I'll bet our bodies start
those hormone cycles long before menses start.

I went to my OB/GYN last week for me, and also asked about my own daughter
(not diabetic, but developing younger than I wished - she's eight).  I was
asking about timing, and she said that menses usually start about 3 years
after she needs her first bra if that gives any clue to timing.

If you're lucky she will follow some kind of pattern.

You sure sound like a great mom!!  Keep up the good work!
Age 39,  IDDM 20 years.