[IP] Pumps/hospitals/ER

I am sorry so many of you have had such horrible experiences in the
hospital/ER.  I, too, have had some bad experiences not related to diabetes,
as well as a couple with my son who does have IDDM.  I wasn't trying to
excuse the medical profession for ignorance or incompetence, just trying to
give another perspective.  There is a definite need for education about care
and treatment of diabetes for nurses, EMTs, etc.  Since my son was diagnosed,
I have tried to (gently) educate my fellow co-workers.  When I have a patient
who has any chronic illness, I ask them what they prefer as to when they get
their meds, treatments, etc. and try to accommodate them as much as possible.
Even so, sometimes things occur that are out of the staff's control (other
departments that won't cooperate, an emergency).  I think everyone with a
chronic condition should have a written plan of action in case of ER visits
and/or hospitalization.  Don't just give it to one person.  Ask that it be
placed in front of your chart.  Keep a copy with you to show anyone who may
not be familiar with your case.  Remind your doctor what orders you want
written.  Take your doctor's phone number or pager number with you to the
hospital and call him yourself if you are not getting the treatment you feel
is necessary.   If necessary, call the patient rep or the administration of
the hospital to straighten things out for you.  I recently have had to do
just that over an incident with my son.  As a result, the radiology
department at the local children's hospital is changing their policy and
procedures for doing CT scans.             Annette