Re: [IP] Pumps in hospitals

My mother-in-law is also a nurse, so I can understand where you are
coming from. Also, we have met a few wonderful nurses. However, I have
to agree with Harriet on this one.  Unfortunately, the majority of
nurses that Shane has encountered during hospital stays are not well
informed about diabetes and are simply not able to deliver the best care
for a diabetic patient.  Almost every time that Shane has had a hospital
stay (and there have been a lot in 30 years!), his insulin and blood
sugars have gotten so messed up that it has taken him days to get it
back on track.  Things that have really annoyed him:
1) Ok, this one is more of a problem with the hospitals and not always
the nurses, but they still tend to believe in "diabetics need special
meals", so they tend to give meals much lower in carbs than what he eats
at home. And then the nurses just want to give the insulin doses listed
and don't understand that the doses need to be changed accordingly.
2) Nurses won't let him do the injection himself, even if they check the
amount first, and they won't listen when he tries to explain where the
injection should be done. They do not understand that the absorbsion is
different in different body areas.
3) They tend to treat insulin as if its a medication that can be taken
"whenever", within an hour or so. They don't understand that doing lente
an hour late or early will cause a peak that doesn't correspond to when
it is needed. Also, if you take Humalog for your meal, you must eat the
meal NOW!  On more than one occasion he has refused to let them give
Humalog until the plate of food is in his sight, and its a good thing
because it was a 1/2 hour wait (or more).
4) Most importantly, they do not LISTEN to the patient.(This is a
problem with the medical community in general.) If Shane says, "I am
feeling really low and I need a snack very soon", they are likely to
respond with "your blood sugar was fine an hour ago" or "your lunch will
be here in a hour and you'll be ok until then" or "lets get someone to
check your blood sugar because its probably fine".  Simply listening to
the patient would go a long way in solving the other problems. I think
that if a nurse is really concerned about being held responsible for
extreme highs and lows, they would want to do everything possible to
keep the patient in the right range, and the easiest way to do that is
to work with the expert (the patient)!  If they don't believe the
diabetic knows what he/she is talking about, they can always verify with
the physician.
I'm sorry if this sounds like an attack on nurses, that is not how it is
intended. I know they are there because they want to help, and I know
their jobs can be very stressful being responsible for so many people.
In most cases it is simply a lack of knowledge that is the problem, not
the nurse trying to be difficult. However, it is unfair to expect the
patient to suffer because of the lack of knowledge.