[IP] (no subject)

 <<As an RN, I can see where the hospital staff is coming from in wanting to
do the testing and administration of insulin.  > snip< When a patient is
under my care in the hospital, I am responsible.  I can't emphasize that
enough.  If my patient were to have a severe hypoglycemic episode or go into
DKA, it would be considered my fault.  Besides concern for patient safety,
there is the liability.  Besides a possible lawsuit against the hospital, a
nurse could lose his/her nursing license and/or her job.  Nurses aren't
trying to be difficult- they are trying to do what is in the best interest of
the patient in the safest manner. >

As a responsible and caring nurse, you can also ask your patient how they
manage their pump and what there preferences are while in the hospital. The
physician should also be responsible enough to write orders regarding the
pump, including the management of it by the person who wears it. There are
release forms that patients can sign.

Many people here have experienced some frightening BG events when someone who
did not know what they were doing assumed diabetes control for the
hospitalized pumper.
Barbara B. (MS, RN, CDE, Certified pump trainer)