Re: [IP] static electricity problems

At 12:41 PM 9/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Just curious:  I find it interesting that Minimed users seem to have
>problems with blank screens and electrical difficulties that are attributed
>to static electricity.  My son uses the disetronic and has not worn it with
>the leather case for a year.  We have never experienced any problem with
>static electricity and wonder if other D users have experienced statis
>problems.  The only alarms he has had in over a year are low battery alarms.
> Maybe it is because there are so many more MM users, but it seems you all
>have a lot more problems with alarms, etc, than we disetronic folks.  Please
>don't shoot me!
>Betsy Smith

I wore a CPI insulin infusion pump (Lilly) for about 12 years and had very
few problems with the pump.   I now wear a MiniMed (CPI went out of the
pump business) and I have been surprised at the seeming "fragility" of this
new pump.

I'm guessing but I believe that this pump is sensitive to lower than
optimal voltage.  I have found that when I get a "No delivery" alarm it is
best to change batteries as well as change infusion sets.  It appears that
the pump cannot actually monitor and advise on battery voltage during
actual use.  This is an opinion but an educated opinion.

Bob Blakely