Re: [IP] Info request

At 11:03 AM 9/16/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Forgive my self indulgence but as a newly diagnosed type I as of three weeks
>standing I would welcome comments on my current / future situation
>Any and all comments will be gratefully received.
>WIth thanks,

Dear Phil,
Glad you found us and terribly sorry you needed to find us.

If I understand your message you want to know when you might start pump
therapy and how aggressive you should be to push for pump therapy.  I will
give my OPINION with the understanding that I actually know very little of
your situation and might be exactly wrong.  The devil is in the details.

I have done MI and pump therapy.  I started on the pump about 1982.  I was
a big clunker of a thing that hung on my belt like a calculator (pagers
hadn't been invented).  I traveled back and forth between the US and
Germany with side trips to most other European Countries.  My biggest
problem was that the pump had rechargeable batteries and the charger didn't
like European voltages.  Fortunately the pumps today use easy to buy watch
batteries and require no recharging.  Once my battery problem was solved I
seemed to do very well with the pump.  I did have plenty of test strips and
made it a habit to test very frequently (testing 10 to 15 times a day was
not unusual.)  Obviously with frequent testing there can be frequent
adjustments to the insulin being infused.  The only dicey time was the
eight to ten hours I was asleep.  Before I began to travel I made a point
of establishing some basal infusion rates that I was sure of.

If you have good basals you can skip meals or delay meals and avoid hypos.
The pump even allowed me to program special basal rates for the early
morning hours when the "Dawn Phenomenon" occurs.  I would venture to say
that a pump would make control easier rather than more difficult.

If you are technically inclined you will probably find that filling the
pump and changing infusion sites is a snap.  I am an Engineer and found the
device really interesting.  In any event it isn't difficult to care for and
BG control is not difficult to attain with adequate testing.  I want to be
specific here -- frequent testing of BG is absolutely necessary for good
control on needles or the pump.

I'd want to travel with a pump.  I have done it and found it easier than
carting needles, bottles of insulin and assorted accoutrements around with
me.  It sure does simplify giving yourself insulin at an open air resturant
or on public transportation.

Hope you find the right answer for you.

My best wishes,
Bob Blakely