[IP] carbo load at night

Last night my son ate a lot of pasta marinara and some garlic rolls for
dinner with seltzer and a splash of juice.  His bg 1.5 hours later,  before
bed, rose to 170 and he took his correction bolus of half unit H.  By morning
the bg was 351.  With a correction bolus, the bg went right down so we know
the site was functioning fine.  (Too bad he didn't test bg when he got up to
go to the bathroom in the middle of the night 2x! I didn't hear him get up.)

Can someone please explain to me why after my son eats a high carb, no
protein, low fat dinner , his bg soars  hours later?