[IP] Fw: NDL

-----Original Message-----
From: Sherry Webb Nolan <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Monday, September 13, 1999 5:01 PM
Subject: NDL

Hi Carrie,
I realized when I got home I don't have my home account anymore on IP.
Could you post this message for me? Thanks, and I hope this helps you
also.
******

The dermatologist recommended I be put on Trental.  The perscription I got
is a generic but I can only assume it is comparable to Trental.  It is
IC Pentoxifylline 400mg Tabs and I take them 3 times a day.  I have been
put on superpotent topical steriod creams before and had a severe allergic
reaction to them, so the doctor is trying the Trental.

The article they sent with it is from a textbook and it has several
therapies
mentioned as stated below (nothing on the photocopy I have states the source
so I don't know how much this will help you if you are searching for
quotable
information):

Initial Therapy
1. For nonulcerated, symptomatic lesions, intralesional triamcinolone
acetonide
    given by injection intradermally into plaques.  Injections then are
repeated every
    2-3 weeks.
2. Ulcers present in lesions of NLD need to heal prior to steriod
administration.
    Wound healing with standard wet-to-dry dressings and antibiotic creams
can
    be very slow, especially in insulin-dependent diabetics.  Therefore,
vapor-
    permeable membranes(e.g. Opsite, Tegaderm) should be applied over
individual
    ulcers, and changed weekly until healing of the ulcer has occurred.

Alternate Therapy
1. A combination of Persantine and asperin has been reported to benefit some
    patients with NLD.
2. Administration of pentoxiphylline(Trental) 400mg t.i.d. for 3-4 weeks has
been
    reported to help some patients with NLD.
3. Applications of a superpotent topical steroid will occasionally produce
some
    reduction in lesion size and symptoms.

Subsequent Therapy
1. After ulcers are healed, intralesional steriods can be administered, as
described
    above.