[IP] Fw: NDL

-----Original Message-----
From: Sherry Webb Nolan <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Monday, September 13, 1999 5:01 PM
Subject: NDL

Hi Carrie,
I realized when I got home I don't have my home account anymore on IP.
Could you post this message for me? Thanks, and I hope this helps you

The dermatologist recommended I be put on Trental.  The perscription I got
is a generic but I can only assume it is comparable to Trental.  It is
IC Pentoxifylline 400mg Tabs and I take them 3 times a day.  I have been
put on superpotent topical steriod creams before and had a severe allergic
reaction to them, so the doctor is trying the Trental.

The article they sent with it is from a textbook and it has several
mentioned as stated below (nothing on the photocopy I have states the source
so I don't know how much this will help you if you are searching for

Initial Therapy
1. For nonulcerated, symptomatic lesions, intralesional triamcinolone
    given by injection intradermally into plaques.  Injections then are
repeated every
    2-3 weeks.
2. Ulcers present in lesions of NLD need to heal prior to steriod
    Wound healing with standard wet-to-dry dressings and antibiotic creams
    be very slow, especially in insulin-dependent diabetics.  Therefore,
    permeable membranes(e.g. Opsite, Tegaderm) should be applied over
    ulcers, and changed weekly until healing of the ulcer has occurred.

Alternate Therapy
1. A combination of Persantine and asperin has been reported to benefit some
    patients with NLD.
2. Administration of pentoxiphylline(Trental) 400mg t.i.d. for 3-4 weeks has
    reported to help some patients with NLD.
3. Applications of a superpotent topical steroid will occasionally produce
    reduction in lesion size and symptoms.

Subsequent Therapy
1. After ulcers are healed, intralesional steriods can be administered, as