[IP] 4 months into --"no longer under warranty" - hmmmm

My son's Disetronic pump had an 04 that would not clear.  I sent the pump
back to Disetronic and they received it Sept 01, 1999.  I called today to see
where the pump is and what the status is.  Well, sigh, I was told that it
failed the 04 test  - meaning it's there's no occlusion (duh - I already
tried changing batteries, piston rod, tubing, cartridge yada yada yada).
It'll cost $375 dollars to fix it.  So I asked the guy JUST WHEN were they
going to inform me about this?  Guess what - they were going to call me
today!?.  (who's skeptical here raise your hand?).  They were going to call
me regarding UPGRADING.  Sounds like a plan on their part to me.  I told him
to put all this in a FAX.  Truth be told I think Disetronic makes a fine
product.  I'm just miffed that I had to call to see where his backup pump was

Question, anyone think the pump should work more than 4 months past the
warranty period?  He suggested maybe it had been dropped.  Well, my son is
11.5, he's had the pump for 4+ years, yes his pumps have been dropped many
times.  Why did it only break after the warranty period was up?  I'm a little

I wonder if I'll bring this up at tonight's Disetronic chat - 9:00 pm est