I had NDL prior to going on MDI and tight control (let alone the pump!).
Since my levels have not been so high the spots have faded somewhat but
still hurt if bumped or hit with anything.  At one point in time I had marks
covering most of the front of my shins.  However, with tighter glucose
control they have faded.  I do not know if this happens for everyone but it
did for me.  I was never able to find much information out about it and
everytime I saw a new doctor they would call all their partners in to look
at my legs!  Not much fun.  Anyways, best of luck.