[IP] Re: Necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, reuse of lancets and other such ramblings

Re: Necrobiosis lipoidica diabeticorum, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, reuse of
lancets and other such ramblings

It's only been a week since I started receiving this digest and I'm
pumped up (no pun intended, okay, maybe just a little one).  Since being
diagnosed 12 years ago I have kept up with all the latest medical
findings but have been remiss on the day-to-day "real people" stuff.  I
don't know any other diabetics and have never gone to a support group.
Early on I decided not to EVER let diabetes be a problem so I usually
don't tell people about it. When my sugar is low I pop in a candy and
keep going, never missing a beat.  Unfortunately I have trained my
family not to think of it as a problem either, so when I do have
problems (extremely high or low sugar) they don't understand and are not
supportive.  I have been on the pump for 7 years, first with the MiniMed
and now the Disetronic.  Only recently have I begun to have problems
with infusion sites and fluctuating sugars that are unexplained which
leads me to seek out answers from people "who have been there".  I am SO
happy to have tapped into this website.  I finally realize that all
those things that I am doing are not unique (i.e. using lancets 20 and
30 times).  And all this talk about Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  Boy, have I
felt guilty every time I ate one.  It's good to know other diabetics eat
them too.  I have a question to pose.  It regards Necrobiosis lipoidica
diabeticorum.  I have this and it covers about 1/3 of one calf.  When it
was first diagnosed about 10 years ago I was given the impression that
not much could be done about it.  I sporadically used some Diprolene
cream on it but that didn't do much except stop the itch.  I did try
this cream in conjunction with some blood thinner once but the pills
made me nauseous.  Has anyone had any luck with medications for NDL?

P.S. - Thanks for the great tip on changing out Disetronic batteries in
a pinch.  Hope I never have to do it but am glad that it is possible.