[IP] NPR and DRI World of Hope Conference

Fantastic - National Public Radio yesterday (9/9/99) had on the Diane Rehm
show:
GUESTS Deb Butterfield, founder of the Insulin-Free World Foundation
(http://www.insulin-free.org) and
author of Showdown with Diabetes" (Norton) Dr. David Harlan, National
Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) Dr. Alan
Kirk, section chief of transplantation for NIDDK/NIH and the Navy

Listen to this show in RealAudio!
http://www.wamu.org/drhi.html

There were many issues addressed, including but not limited to - pancreas
transplantation, islet transplantation, life with diabetes, public perception
of diabetes, raising kids with diabetes, research....

The moderator did quote from my lengthy email  - "...So next time you send
your child out to play, remember, that before my child can go play, he must
test his blood sugar, reduce the amount of insulin he is getting per minute
in his pump, take along drinks for thirst, sugar to counteract a low blood
glucose reaction and his blood glucose meter, test strips, lancet device and
lancets to verify that everything is in order.   That's childhood for a child
with diabetes.."

We must spread the word that diabetes needs to be cured!  Please write to
newspapers, radio correspondents, tv shows etc... We must raise awareness
about diabetes and all it does.  Yes we have the pump for now to make it
somewhat easier, but diabetes does destroy the body.

DIabetes Research Institute was mentioned. I was too late to call in and talk
about  <A HREF="http://www.drinet.org/html/world_of_hope.htm">World of
Hope</A> conference which will give everyone a chance to ask direct questions
to the researchers in person at roundtable discussions Oct. 15-17, 1999 in
Miami.  I keep promoting this wonderful event because I've toured DRI and met
some of  these brilliant dedicated researchers and know this is a rare
opportunity for everyone interested in the status of diabetes cure research.
I cannot wait to also meet the researchers from outside of DRI.  Please join
me at this event!  There's still time to register.

Camillo Ricordi, M.D. - Scientific Advisory Committee Chairman
Stacy Joy Goodman Professor of Surgery and Medicine
Scientific Director and Chief Academic Officer
Chief, Division of Cellular Transplantation
Diabetes Research Institute
University of Miami School of Medicine
Miami, FL

Rodolfo Alejandro, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Director, Clinical Islet Transplantation
Diabetes Research Institute
University of Miami School of Medicine
Miami, FL

George F. Cahill, Jr., M.D.
Professor of Biological Sciences
Dartmouth University
Dartmouth, NH

Ronald B. Goldberg, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Co-Director and Chief, Division of Diabetes and Metabolism
Director, Eleanor and Joseph Kosow Diagnostic and Treatment Center
Diabetes Research Institute
University of Miami School of Medicine
Miami, FL

David M. Harlan, M.D.
Head, Immune Cell Biology Department
Associate Professor of Medicine
Captain, Medical Corps, U.S. Navy
Naval Medical Research Institute
Head, NIDDK-Navy Transplantation & Autoimmunity Branch
Bethesda, MD

Alberto Hayek, M.D.
Professor of Pediatrics
Director of Islet Research Laboratory
University of California/San Diego School of Medicine
The Whittier Institute
La Jolla, CA

Bernhard J. Hering, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Surgery & Medicine
Head, Islet Transplantation Program
University of Minnesota Medical School
Minneapolis, MN

Luca Inverardi, M.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Basic Research
Diabetes Research Institute
University of Miami School of Medicine
Miami, FL

Norma S. Kenyon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Director, Pre-Clinical Research
Diabetes Research Institute
University of Miami School of Medicine
Miami, FL

Paul E. Lacy, M.D.
Professor Emeritus of Pathology
St. Louis, MO

Luigi Meneghini, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Diabetes Research Institute
University of Miami School of Medecine
Miami, FL

Daniel H. Mintz, M.D.
Mary Lou Held Professor of Medicine
Scientific Director Emeritus
Diabetes Research Institute
University of Miami School of Medicine
Miami, FL

Robin L. Nemery, M.D.
Medical Director, Division of Pediatric Endocrinology
Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital
Memorial Regional Hospital
Hollywood, FL

Christopher Newgard, Ph.D.
Touchstone Chair in Diabetes Research
Professor of Biochemistry and Medicine
Southwestern Medical Center
University of Texas
Dallas, TX

Alberto Pugliese, M.D.
Research Assistant Professor of Medicine
Head, Immunogenetics Laboratory
Diabetes Research Institute
University of Miami School of Medicine
Miami, FL

Arthur Rubenstein, M.D.
Dean, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Executive Vice President, Mount Sinai
Medical Center
New York, NY

Massimo Trucco, M.D.
Hillman Professor of Pediatric Immunology
Head, Division of Immunogenetics
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordon Weir, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Associate Director, Diabetes and
Endocrinology Research Center
Joslin Diabetes Center
Boston, MA

Regards,
Ellen H. Ullman
Mom, Advocate for children with diabetes and their parents, Friend,
Webmaster...<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html">
http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/index.html </A> aka KidsRPumping.
PLEASE SUPPORT FUNDING A CURE FOR DIABETES.  MY FAVORITE CHARITY IS DIABETES
RESEARCH INSTITUTE IN MIAMI FLORIDA <A HREF="http://www.drinet.org">DRI</A>.
You choose a charity and work toward the cure.