[IP] Reflections on what we say and DON'T say!

Musing further on Steve Gussow's message.

I think it's easy to imagine that everyone else is doing great, and
you're the only one who's having problems because we DON'T usually
report all our numbers to each other, or say all that much about our
rough times.

I've had my share of painful insertions, skin allergies that blistered
and oozed, kinked cannulas, blood in the tubing, high numbers for no
ascertainable reason, and unpredicted lows, but I just haven't talked
about them, because I haven't seen any reason to.

My first approach to a problem is to try to solve it myself. Many or
most times, I can do that, so there is no reason to mention it to the
list. For example, 5 hours after a meal, or in theory, right before the
next one, I'm sitting at 180. Too high for a pre-prandial reading, yes?
So I bolus it down. It might not be as high as someone else's but that's
not the point. The point is that I just take care of it, and invest NO
emotion in it.

Another example is, it's 12 hours since I changed infusion sets, and the
damn thing STILL hurts. So I change it, and that's that! Sometimes I
goof up the second insertion and have to go to a third one. Oh well!

One of the problems that I HAVE talked to the list about is the skin
allergies, because I really DIDN'T know what to do, and I got better
advice, and quicker, from the list than from my doc.

I can tell you that my idea of perfection is absolutely normal BGs, 100%
of the time, and I DON'T achieve that -- not even close. I just keep it
in the back of my mind as the "goal" and I KNOW that I'm not gonna
achieve it any time soon -- so I just strive to do my personal best over
the long run. I'm extremely grateful for having the tool to correct high
BGs quickly -- something I couldn't do if I didn't have insulin! And I'm
grateful for having my meter, and for being able to sense hypos and
correct them quickly too.

I don't like to actually quote numbers, because I know that other people
get caught in the trap of comparison, but there really IS no comparison
-- we each have to deal with our own body, and we can't even compare
OURSELVES from day to day -- too many things beyond our control.

I sort of view diabetes as a car -- I have to monitor the speedometer to
be sure I'm not going too slow or too fast -- and the appropriate speed
and efficiency are affected by external conditions, like whether I'm
going uphill or downhill, and whether the road is good or not, but also
by unknown things like the quality of gas I just bought, and whether
it's a hot day or not -- and so I adjust the gas pedalto compensate -- I
can't know whether the bend just around the corner is going to be a good
place or a bad place -- I just keep watching and keep correcting. Some
cars don't have very good gas pedals, and it's difficult, but it's
either nurse them along, or give up and go nowhere!

And I know we're ALL doing that, whether we mention it out loud or not.

So the moral of the (long-winded) story is keep yer chins up, and keep
plugging along, and don't let it get to you!

Smiles and hugs,
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted