Re: [IP] Re: schools against kids - Sorry it's long!

>A lancet may not be a weapon for a child who has diabetes. The ADA provides
"reasonable" (that is the *word*) accomadations.  As a parent myself and as
a grandparent now I would not like to have my children hadnling lancets or
even accidently getting stuck by one. Why? because children can carry
hepatitis and HIV. So IF my child were to get stuck by one that was already
used or gotten ahold of by another child who stuck himself/herself with it
then my child would have to go through testing for these diseases.

As long as the sharp is handled in an OSHA approved fashion there is very
little to fear.  One would need to open her purse, take the kit out, open
it, take the poker, cock it, hold it firmly against the skin and fire it.
If one honestly weighs the danger in the classroom from other items,
scissors, paper cutters, fists, teeth, band-aides, siliva. Lancets would be
very low on the list. If a student maliciously attacked another with a
lancet, it should be treated identically to a malicious attack with
scissors.  But the mere chance that it could happen does not exclude
scissors from the classroom and should not exclude lancets or pushpins.

>Push pins SHOULD be thrown away if someone is stuck by them.
The school has to watch out for all the kids and by providing a palce to
safely dispose of them.

Does anyone have themselves tested if pricked by a push-pin?  You better, it
may have poked someone else and not been taken to the nurses office and put
into the biohazard disposal.  Lancets should be disposed of properly.  But
not banned from the classroom.

>Do any of you dispose of them safely at home?   YES

>I would hope so so some person picking up your trash doesn't get stuck and
have to go through testing.  Isn;t there a factor of teaching a child with
diabetes that they are
responsible for how they dispose of thier used syringes, pump infusion sets
and lancets ? I believe so.  I don't believe that is unreasonable.

You are absolutely correct.

>As for a lancet being a weapon..with the way things are going today kids
have to even have clear see through back packs in the Atlanta area. So in a
sense ALL kids are being hurt by the actions of those who have done harm in
the past. Nothing not even a kitchen knife can be brought into the schools
around here in Georgia. Zero Tolerance.

When will we stop letting schools stomp on our children.  What is the straw,
strip searches?  Can someone explain to me by what authority schools enforce
these asinine "rules" and deny butter knife holding kids access to
education?  Take a look at the schools rules... Our school dictates what
color nail polish can be worn.

>And yes in the wrong hands a lancet
can be used for harm.

So!  So can anything.  I can kill you with a pillow.

>Would that allow people in prison to have a lancet? I
don't think so...

I am sure that there are diabetics in prison and they are protected by the
ADA also.  I am sure that they test in prison with a lancet.  The exact
logistics would be interesting.

>the schools are not trying to make it hard for the kids with diabetes..

School are trying to make it easier for schools.  They couldn't care less
about the ease of school for the kids.

>I personally don't
see the problem with it and I do not think schools are against kids. Kids
are against kids..that is who is hurting our kids with all the things going

They are not hurting them with lancets.  Guns and knives, but lancets...give
me a break.

>IF the school didn;t take care of lancets and someone was stuck everyone
would scream "Law Suit!"

If a kid ran over someone's toe with a wheelchair and broke it.  Someone
would scream LAW SUIT.  We can't ban wheelchairs or lancets.  I believe that
anyone that does is out of step with the ADA and IDEA.

>As far as the RN not letting your daughter use the counter because of the
paper cutter she (nurse) was just looking out for your daughter's safety
and for the protection of the school.

You didn't know the whole story.  I was coming everyday at noon to support
her testing right after diagnosis.  We were confined to the nurses station.
There was a spot just outside her classroom with a counter, a sink and a
paper cutter and it was too dangerous for her to test there while I was
supervising her test.  The danger from the cutter was none existent and the
restriction was discriminatory.

>I don't know of any
children with diabetes who are not allowed in the classroom.

Fortunately there is law now.  They used to be deprived of a free and
appropriate education.

>As far as inhalers..they can be overused..and people can die from overuse.

Rumor has it that a kid died on the playground because he was not carrying
his inhaler.  It was tucked in the office to prevent over dose.  Think that
maybe there was a law suit there.

>There has to be policies in schools for the protection of all and Zero
Tolerance is not a lazy way of doing things until parents themselves grow
up and take charge of thier children. In GA we have metal detectors, we
have police in schools carrying guns, we have kids brining guns to
school..how else can schools do things right now. The responsibility goes
back to the parents and until some parents can get a grip on thier own kids
we have to live with these policies. I guess home schooling is an option.
Let's take an objective look from both sides of the fence.

Zero tolerance is lazy.  It only allows expulsion of kids with butter knives
and does not stop the kid with a real weapon from using it in school.  Metal
detectors and police are fine with me, if unfortunate.  Zero tol got a kid
expelled for giving glucose to friend.  What a great use of his time.  He
also has a record in the school for drug related activity.  BOGUS!!!  Lazy!!

Schools do have a hard job.  There are real problems but testing in the
classroom is not one of them.

Curtis Lomax