Re: [IP] Re: schools against kids - Sorry it's long!

A lancet may not be a weapon for a child who has diabetes. The ADA provides
"reasonable" (that is the *word*) accomadations.  As a parent myself and as
a grandparent now I would not like to have my children hadnling lancets or
even accidently getting stuck by one. Why? because children can carry
hepatitis and HIV. So IF my child were to get stuck by one that was already
used or gotten ahold of by another child who stuck himself/herself with it
then my child would have to go through testing for these diseases.  Push
pins SHOULD be thrown away if someone is stuck by them.
The school has to watch out for all the kids and by providing a palce to
safely dispose of them. Do any of you dispose of them safely at home? I
would hope so so some person picking up your trash doesn't get stuck and
have to go through testing.
Isn;t there a factor of teaching a child with diabetes that they are
responsible for how they dispose of thier used syringes, pump infusion sets
and lancets ? I believe so.
I don't believe that is unreasonable.
As for a lancet being a weapon..with the way things are going today kids
have to even have clear see through back packs in the Atlanta area. So in a
sense ALL kids are being hurt by the actions of those who have done harm in
the past. Nothing not even a kitchen knife can be brought into the schools
around here in Georgia. Zero Tolerance. And yes in the wrong hands a lancet
can be used for harm. WOuld that allow people in prison to have a lancet? I
don't think so...
the schools are not trying to make it hard for the kids with diabetes..they
are trying to make it safe for the school as a whole..I personally don't
see the problem with it and I do not think schools are against kids. Kids
are against kids..that is who is hurting our kids with all the things going

IF the school didn;t take care of lancets and someone was stuck everyone
would scream "Law Suit!"
As far as the RN not letting your daughter use the counter because of the
paper cutter she (nurse) was just looking out for your daughter's safety
and for the protection of the school. It is her JOB. And if she didn't say
anything and your daughter did get cut on a paper cutter you would be at
that school so fast asking WHY wasn't the school RN looking after your
daughter. Schools are in a no win siutation here. I don't know of any
children with diabetes who are not allowed in the classroom..and in
reagards to wheelchairs..well-- the kids in wheelchairs usually are going
through the hallways before the classes are let out.
As far as inhalers..they can be overused..and people can die from overuse.
There has to be policies in schools for the protection of all and Zero
Tolerance is not a lazy way of doing things until parents themselves grow
up and take charge of thier children. In GA we have metal detectors, we
have police in schools carrying guns, we have kids brining guns to
school..how else can schools do things right now. The responsibility goes
back to the parents and until some parents can get a grip on thier own kids
we have to live with these policies. I guess home schooling is an option.
Let's take an objective look from both sides of the fence.