Re: [IP] Re: schools against kids - Sorry it's long!

> As for nurses in the schools, that is ok. As long as they don't get in my or
> my kids hair about treating diabetes.

Ok, I agree with most of what you said in your message.  But not all
school nurses
are horrible.  There are a few out there who are pretty good.

In the state of New Jersey, you must have special certification to be a
nurse, not any RN, LPN, EMT etc can do it.  However, a few years ago,
school system in Montclair NJ was having problems filling the positions,
they hired RNs part time to fill the positions until they could get
to fill the position full time.  They would not however hire an RN full
So my mom, being an RN, filled in at an elementary school. There were
diabetic children in the school and my mom was very supportive of these
students getting what they needed.  But she also found that is was
heartbreaking watching them and knowing she didn't have the right to

Case in point, one day she was returning from walking a student back to
their classroom and she came across a student spinning in circles in the
hallway.  She realized that she was one of the diabetic students and
asked her if she was feeling ok.  The girl fell into my moms arms and
told her she felt "wonderfullllllllllllllllll."  My mom noticing signs
that something wasn't quite right walked the girl to the nursing office
and tested her blood sugar. (The school kept a machine, strips, and
lancets in the office for all of the diabetic students). Her blood sugar
was 25mg.  My mom gave her a juice box and made sure that her blood
sugar came back up and was relatively stable. My mom asked the girl
if she had any idea why her blood sugar had run low, and the girl told
her to "ask the teacher since she was the expert."  My mom now curious
and getting no more information from the girl, walked her back to class
and asked the teacher to step out for a minute to talk to her.  The
teacher came out and asked why my mom was there and why she was with
the girl.  My mom asked the teacher why the girl was out in the hall
alone with a low blood sugar.  The teacher was surprised and told my
mom, "well then it is a good thing I didn't let her eat her snack this
morning."  Turns out the teacher was under the impression that a low
test ment high sugar/low insulin not the other way around.  So she
took the snack away from the girl and then told her she should know
better.  Then when she started acting goofy in class (from the low)
she was sent outside to collect herself.  My mom told the teacher
to keep an eye on the girl from no on and if she
acted the least bit differently from usual to send her with a
classmate to the nurses office...not leave her alone.  She also
told the teacher to stop by her office after school and informed
her a little more about diabetes and what to look for.

My mom then went back to her office and called the parents and
told them about the low and about the misunderstanding.  She
asked them if there was anything else she should do in the
girls case.  She also encouraged them to talk to the teacher
and possible have a day were the girl could explain to the
class what diabetes was and how it affected her and what to
do to help.

So I guess I am saying, for the rare few out there who do know
something, god bless them.  In this case the parents were relieved
my mom was "getting in their hair".  However, for those who don't
know, or think they do but don't, the best thing is to keep trying
to inform them.

I would think that with all the grandmothers, aunts, uncle's,
etc. out there who have Diabetes, at least one of them will
have a relative working at the school.  There must be someone
at the schools willing to help stand up for the kids?

Just a thought,