[IP] more seizures/low blood sugar?

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
To: cystic-l @home..ease.lsoft.com <email @ redacted>
Date: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 7:36 PM
Subject: more seizures

Erika had two more seizures over the weekend.  These two were my first
experience in actually witnessing her seizures.  The first was a
partial/complex, which she had at the movie theater.  It has now been
determined it was due to low blood sugar, as Erika was complaining that her
blood sugar was low.  For some reason, two hours before the movie, she gave
herself some Humalog isulin to lower her high blood sugar.  The problem was,
she didn't eat anything along with it, thinking the food she planned to eat
at the show later, would be enough.  Boy did she find out that was not true!

That night, we woke to her scream, the start of a grand mal seizure.   I had
been instructed previously to try and obtain a blood sugar reading "during
any seizure."  My experience of testing her blood while not seizing had been
very limited, and now I was expected to do it while she was convulsing?  It
was very hard, and I never did get enough blood for a sample.  Hopefully,
the next time, should there be one, I will be much better at obtaining the
sample so we can know if the seizure was caused by the diabetes or the
epilepsy itself.

Thanks for listening.

Kim S.
Erika's mom, 20 y/o w/cystic fibrosis, diabetes, asthma, and epilepsy.